Job Title: Vice-Principal
Reports to: President
Effective Date: August 1, 2018
The V.P. Academics shall assist the President in coordinating the academic program of the school and is specifically responsible for maintaining student records and providing educational counselling for students. This is a full-time, salaried position that could include teaching two classes. The V.P. Academics shall agree to observe the employment and administrative policies of the SDA Church in Canada K-12 Board of Education, those policies of the SDA Church K-12 Board of Education which pertain to the operation of Kingsway College, the policies adopted by the Board of Directors of this school, and those laws and regulations of the Province of Ontario which are applicable to this school.
Reporting to this position are:
Registrar – responsible for maintaining student and attendance records
Teachers – responsible for the teaching and instruction of the student body.
The incumbent has day-to-day functional supervision of all members of the Kingsway College teaching faculty as they pertain to the teaching and learning functions. However, in the absence of the President, the incumbent has administrative responsibilities on matters affecting the entire teaching faculty and the student body.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides a role model of successful Christian living for the students.
- Interacts with students and models spiritual maturity in leading students towards Christ and then spiritual growth.
- Models professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, peers, and community.
- Prepares class rosters and student schedules.
- Processes and prepares grade reports for all students at the conclusion of each term of the school year; sends midterm progress reports to parents as per school policy.
- Reviews the transcripts of each junior and senior student to ascertain the status of graduation requirements.
- Co-ordinates the diplomas, gown rentals, statistical summary, and valedictory for graduation each year.
- Evaluates out-of-province transcripts to determine credit equivalency.
- Plans an educational timetable with every student each year, conferencing with individual students concerning future educational and career plans.
- Implements course changes as necessary.
- Coordinates OUAC and OCAS applications for senior students interested in Ontario universities and/or colleges.
- Coordinates summer school registration for students interested in taking summer school
- Coordinates and administers ACT tests once each year for senior students (note: Kingsway is an official Sunday test site for ACT, and these testing times are therefore open to both K.C. and non-K.C. students).
- Coordinates and administers standardized tests and interest inventories as requested.
- Coordinates Career Day (including visits from SDA college/university representatives).
- Conferences with failing students.
- Serves as chair for the Academic Policies Committee.
- Makes and distributes exam schedules for each semester.
- Coordinates and distributes Substitution schedule for each semester.
- Assists the President in the evaluation of instruction.
- Assists staff in maintaining current course outlines for every course taught.
- Assists the President in formulating the annual course timetable (taking into account staffing, class size, numbers of sections, work program, etc.).
- Assists teachers in solving problems of classroom discipline and student performance, and other matters affecting the progress of students, teachers, and/or parents.
- Guides the development, implementation, and evaluation of curriculum and instructional services.
- Keeps current in matters of curriculum and instruction.
- Assists the President in the recruitment and screening of instructional personnel.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of all governmental laws and legislation, as well as denominational Education Codes, working policies, practices and procedures that impact on the educational program.
- Assumes responsibility for professional growth and development through membership and participation in professional organizations, through enrolment in advanced course work, attendance at seminars and workshops, and other such activities.
- Manages all minor disciplinary issues and in consultation with the President, assists with all major disciplinary issues.
- Ensures, in the absence of the President, the effective and timely handling of disciplinary measures, grievances, and misconduct of students and/or staff.
- Serves as administrator in charge in the absence of the President and the V.P. Finance.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the President.
JOB STANDARDS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- A minimum of a Master’s of Education degree.
- Should possess, qualify for, or be willing to take the necessary coursework to receive Ontario and NAD certification.
- A minimum of five years’ teaching experience.
- Previous High School administrative experience is preferred.
- Effective teaching and learning skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, teachers, and/or members of the school community.
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as independently.
- Proficient in computer programs such as Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and data base management software.
- Understand the importance of confidential information concerning students and others while maintaining a high degree of integrity and support for Kingsway College.
- Dedicated and active member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- Passionate about Adventist education and supports the mission of Kingsway College.
- Professional, responsible, and a positive work attitude.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.