Plant Services Assistant
JOB TITLE: Plant Services Assistant
REPORTS TO: Plant Services Director
DEPARTMENT: Plant Services
EFFECTIVE DATE: August 6, 2018
Works under the Plant Services Director and is responsible for the maintenance, repair, and replacement of Kingsway College’s physical plant in his/her absence. The position is a 12-month, salaried position, which reports to and is directly responsible to the Plant Services Director. The employee shall agree to observe the employment and administrative policies of the SDA Church in Canada K-12 Board of Education, those policies of the SDA Church K-12 Board of Education which pertain to the operation of Kingsway College, the policies adopted by the Board of Directors of this school, and those laws and regulations of the Province of Ontario which are applicable to this school.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides a role model of successful Christian living for the students.
- Interacts with students and models spiritual maturity in leading students towards Christ and then spiritual growth.
- Assisting in the operation of the Maintenance Shop including keeping of inventory records, storage and safeguarding of tools, and equipment, replacement of tools and equipment and the purchase of supplies according to budgetary constraints.
- Assists in assigning and supervising work in Plant Services for student workers.
- Insures that all areas of the campus are maintained in a clean, attractive, and safe condition.
- Assists in the efficient and safe operation of the “Wood Heating System”, arranging for reports, inspections and maintenance as required.
- Assists with the maintenance and safety of school vehicles.
- Directly engaged in painting and performing structural repairs to masonry, woodwork, and furnishings of buildings.
- Directly engaged in ground maintenance activities such as mowing lawns, trimming hedges, removing weeds, and raking and disposing of leaves and refuse.
- Requisitions tools, equipment, and supplies as directed.
- Monitors working conditions and the use of equipment to maximize efficiency of work crew.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems, or assists student workers in solving work problems.
- Provides adequate supervision of students for which he/she is responsible.
- Attend staff meetings as scheduled.
- Other duties will include supervision duties on weekday evenings and weekends, sponsorship of a class, organization or club, and membership on various committees.
JOB STANDARDS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- A minimum of a high school diploma. Preferably should have at least one to three years’ experience related to Plant Services.
- Preferably should have at least 3-5 years’ experience in Plant Service related areas.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as independently.
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and/or occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Certificates, licenses, and registrations related to Plant Services activities are considered an asset.
- Willingness to obtain the necessary certifications is a requirement of the position
- Dedicated and active member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- Passionate about Adventist education and supports the mission of Kingsway College.
- Professional, responsible, and a positive work attitude.
- Available for weekend and evening hours when required.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and can be loud at times requiring the use of hearing protection.
- Hazardous materials will be present requiring precautions in the use and storage.
- Various power equipment will be used in performing duties.
- The work area is both inside and outside of buildings.